Life can get crazy from time to time. And unfortunately, there will be times where we have to adapt to staying home for long periods of time. The content below is meant to be a resource whether you are dealing with severe snowstorms, preparing for hurricane season, or in quarantine due to COVID-19 (coronavirus).
We’ve compiled free resources that can help to ease stress and frustrations as we try to navigate this crazy time and figure out how to survive at home. Below are free resources to help your family during this unprecedented time.
Family Resources for Staying Home During COVID-19
We are all juggling a lot right now, and there is so much happening around us that we have zero control over. But there are wonderful free resources out there that can really help to ease our stress and frustrations as we try to navigate this unprecedented time.
Family Activities at Home
We are used to being busy and maintaining a full schedule for our family, but many of us are not used to a slower pace without much structure! How can we keep our family’s entertained and occupied while stuck at home?
Reconnect as a family
When you have to stay at home, you have a unique opportunity to reconnect with your family…
- Need some new games to play together? Here is a list of 15 two player games
- Whether you play a game, do a puzzle, turn on some music, or just color together… here are ideas for enjoying family time together
- What matters most to your family? Print out this free printable, and work together to establish your family’s core values
- There’s not much that we are able to do right now, but most of us can still go on a family photo walk
- If you’re tired of playing the same old kid games, check out unique, educational games for kids that they can play on their own
- Since we’re all spending so much time together, we might need some inspiration for new discussions… check out 100+ family conversation starters
90s Movies for Kids
Our kids are so used to watching YouTube videos and Netflix series that sometimes it’s nice to snuggle in for a family movie night! Check out great 90s movies for kids along with their trailers and where you can watch those 90s movies today.
Staying Home with Toddlers
If you have toddlers at home right now, it might feel like you’re all going stir crazy! Here are some great tips…
- Check out these 50 easy toddler activities that don’t make a mess
- Get inspiration with this list of fun indoor activities for kids
- A list of toddler toy favorites that will keep your kid’s attention
- Get these free pretend play printables to encourage imaginative play
- Read about the 43 benefits that your child will gain from free play
- Learn more about behavior charts and get free sticker charts
- If your child is showing signs of readiness, right now is a great time to start potty training! Learn how to potty train your child quickly and easily
90s TV Shows for Kids
Take a trip down memory lane with this big list of 90s TV shows for kids! I had so much fun reminiscing about the shows from my childhood, and I can’t wait to show my kids some of my favorites. Check out this big list of 100+ old TV shows broken down by age group!
At home activities for elementary age kids
Your elementary school age kids might also be struggling with this sudden change in schedule. Here are some ideas to keep them entertained and happy…
- Check out 30 of the best video games for kids on the Nintendo Switch
- Listen to kid friendly podcasts
- Print out these free goal planning sheets for kids
- Have them write a letter to their sibling with this free printable
- Read about the benefits to temporarily giving up extracurriculars
- Watch YouTube channels that get your kids moving
Staying home with teenagers
Your teenagers might also be struggling with this sudden change in schedule. Here are some ideas to keep them entertained and happy…
- Get tips directly from a teenager on how you can better connect with your teen (or tween)
- Find out what 3 topics every parent should be addressing with their teen, and gain insight from a high school counselor
- Here are seven things that a parent and teen coach, recommends that every teenager should know before heading off to college
- Find out what a licensed professional counselor says are the teenage warning signs to watch out for, and when it is time to seek help for your teen
- If you have a tween or teenager in your home, find out how to start this fun, educational, and time-saving task in order to make your life easier
- Encourage your kids to check out these 50 simple ways to help others in your community
Learning at home
Whether you homeschool, unschool, cyber school, or were thrown into teaching at home because of COVID-19; we wanted to share some helpful free resources to make learning a fun experience for everyone involved! Below are favorite tips from our expert contributors that will surely help your family on your learning journey.
Teaching from Home Tools
Check out 35 free printables to help parents and teachers as we all adjust to distance learning! We’re all in this together and simply trying to do our best for our children and students. We got this!
At home Learning Activities
Your kids might also be struggling with this sudden change in schedule. Here are some ideas to keep them entertained and happy…
- Learn how to use Montessori learning methods at home on a budget
- Check out 30 science experiments for kids
- Get free printables that keep your child reading and having fun
- Follow this easy step-by-step DIY project to create your own book nook
- 5 ideas to improve motor skills at home
- Create a home library together as a family
- Save these free letter and number printables for toddlers
- Create the perfect teen work space for at home learning
- Choose from 50 free daily planner printables
- Try these 25 free typing games for kids
- Unleash your inner artist with 7 pro tips for yarn shopping bliss
Free Typing Games for Kids
We searched the internet and found 25 free typing games that your kids will love! These games will help them learn to type so that they can tackle virtual learning with greater ease.
Sudden virtual learning is very different than traditional homeschooling, but there are still tips and resources that can be helpful!
- Learn from this 2,000 person study covering homeschooling myths vs realities
- Read why this mom decided to homeschool her children and the resources that she’s found along the way
- Check out a Q&A with a mom who is unschooling her kids
- Help your children set appropriate rules and boundaries to keep everyone safely learning online
- Learn more about homeschooling and cyber schooling options
Cooking At Home
No matter what day it is, or the circumstances, there are always meals to prepare and mouths to feed. But what gets tricky is when you are trying to do so while your entire town is shutting down. Again, maybe it is weather related, or maybe it is because of illness. Either way, it is helpful to know what to stock up on, how to stretch your shopping budget, how to avoid food waste, and how to fill those precious little bellies with healthy lasting food.
Cooking During COVID-19
Feeding your family while you’re stuck at home can be tough. Read helpful tips for what food to buy, how to stretch a meal, how to make food last longer, where to find recipes based on the ingredients you have, and how to prepare for a quick and safe trip to the grocery store.
tIPS FOR COOKING AT HOME
- Look through our collection of simple recipe ideas for the whole family
- Read through these 7 tips for avoiding food waste AND saving more money
- Have fun with these 10 healthy snacks that toddlers can help make
- Learn how to boil an egg 6 different ways
- Find appreciation in the benefits of family dinners
- Check out these one-handed snack ideas to help keep you nourished
- Create your own recipe binder at home with this free recipe card printable
- Learn 9 ways to afford organic products on a tight budget
- Find out the best way to cook vegetables in only 15 minutes
- Discover 8 easy swaps to make your family favorite meals healthier
- Check out these What Should I Bake at Home? Sweet Inspiration for Delicious Treats
DIY Project Ideas
Follow these great tutorials to accomplish beautiful DIY projects in your own home. An interior professional shares her expert advice and insight to help you tackle each DIY project!
TAKE TIME FOR SELF CARE
You do everything for your family and those around you. But don’t forget to take care of yourself! By taking a few moments to meet your needs, you will have more energy to conquer that impressive to-do list each day. Check out our full Self-Care collection for inspiration on how to start pampering yourself throughout the day at little or no added cost – You deserve it!
Organize Your House
This collection is filled with tutorials and strategies to teach you how to get organized! Organization isn’t a perfect process. There will always be new messes, new time commitments, & new things to figure out; but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to organize your life!
Tips for Saving Money
No matter your job or salary, it is important to always be saving for the future. Especially during periods of time when work seems uncertain, or you have unplanned expenses. Every family can benefit from these money saving tips!
Simplify Your Family's Routine
Having everyone home can severely adjust your schedule as you try balancing everyone’s needs with your daily to-do list. But I would encourage you to look for ways to simplify your life. Use this experience to create a fresh start for your family as you go back to the basics.
Transition Back to Normal
No matter what you have been dealing with, eventually your life will return to “normal”. Once the storm passes, once the sickness subsides, once the schools reopen and businesses begin to re-hire, it will get better.
But in the rush to return to our daily life, it’s important to take a moment to pause and ask ourselves what is really worth returning back to? Are their things that you did not miss? Were you relieved to not have certain commitments in your calendar for a period of time? Pay attention to what this phase at home is trying to teach you.
Adore Them Parenting has put together a collection of wonderful resources to help you navigate a better work-life-balance. Every family and each situation is different. But hopefully these tips will inspire you to make some positive changes in your life that will benefit your family as a whole.
Don’t think of this as a daunting task; but rather a fresh start to a new adventure! Best wishes as you continue to move forward in life and on your journey 🙂
Check out over 60 useful printables available for you to save and use at your convenience!